Job Opening: Development Director – Charlotte, NC
Job Title: Development Director
Location: Charlotte, NC
The Development Director assists the Area Development Director (ADD) in the implementation of action plans developed with the national office; reaches fundraising targets to support the 37 UNCF-member institutions and serves as an ambassador for UNCF, by engaging donors and leveraging relationships to meet revenue goals. The Development Director submits solicitations and conducts other fundraising activities to maintain a high level of public awareness, regarding the importance of philanthropic donations, to support and further the mission of the organization.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist the ADD in securing new sources of revenue from events, grants, major gifts, individuals, local community partners, foundations, corporations and other campaigns. A significant proportion of donations raised must be unrestricted funds.
- Assist the ADD in execution of fundraising strategy, including taking the lead on some campaigns and designing new ones.
- Maintain timely and consistent contact with current and potential donors in order to establish, sustain and enhance repeated and upgraded gifts.
- Develop and submit proposals and design and implement special fundraising events. Write fundraising correspondence, letters of acknowledgment and appeals and maintain a regular schedule of in-person visits with foundations, donors and board members.
- Assist in identifying and recruiting campaign leaders and Advisory Board members and formalizing the campaign strategy.
- Establish and manage relations with volunteers.
- Assist and distribute campaign materials and develop communication and promotional programs in support of local fundraising efforts.
- Maintain current and accurate files on all donors. Generate queries, reports, exports and other collection data as needed.
- Assist in managing the area office to ensure compliance with organization policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university and at least 5 years experience in fundraising, marketing or public relations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to conduct major fund raising activities, including capital campaigns and annual giving drives; ability to think critically and communicate clearly; excellent organizational skills; outstanding human relations and managerial aptitude; demonstrated initiative and ability to work and meet deadlines with minimal supervision; exceptional responsiveness and a capability to thrive in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to travel locally and nationally.