Job Opening: Data Analyst – Washington, DC
Job Title: Data Analyst
Location: Washington, DC
Engages in data collection, analysis and reporting in support of research activities conducted or sanctioned by the UNCF Frederick D. Patterson Research Institute. The data analyst will utilize a multitude of methodological approaches to manage and execute a range of research activities in line with UNCF’s strategy. The successful candidate will be part of a research team that works across departments to support various UNCF programs and increase the visibility of the work through research production. The position requires a highly motivated and collaborative individual, who has a significant research background and possesses strong organizational, analytic, and writing abilities.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the vice president, and the Senior Manager of Learning and Evaluation of the Frederick D. Patterson Research Institute in capturing, mining, analyzing and reporting on both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research on issues related to Patterson research agenda.
- Review and synthesize current literature when necessary.
- Lead the process for completing the biennial statistical report documenting trends at member institutions.
- Produce recurring reports related to UNCF member institution outcomes,
- Complete program evaluations using a range of data analysis methods, including conducting qualitative interviews and focus groups, transcribing, synthesizing and coding qualitative data,
- Capture data from external data sources including NCES databases, developing appropriate methodological tools for data capture,
- Use appropriate statistical tools (including Excel and SPSS) to create data visuals to illustrate data patterns,
- Support member institution professional development related to data-informed institutional effectiveness,
- Serve as a writer and project manager for data-specific research publications,
- Serve as a thought partner to leadership in study design and analytical support.
- Create and manage databases to support research activities of the Patterson Institute (e.g. literature reviews, relevant research activities at HBCUs and/or other institutions interested in educational attainment for African Americans).
- Assist the vice president in the development of proposals and programmatic donor reports for the Patterson Institute.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, MPA, MA or related degree or higher preferred.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel and PowerPoint required;
- Experience with modeling/statistical analysis and SPSS/SQL required;
- Ability to synthesize data and information from multiple sources including large data sets, develop insights and recommendations and convey complex information through the use of supporting tables, graphs and other visual representations required;
- Experience with large-scale higher education databases including IPEDS preferred;
- Experience employing both qualitative and quantitative research methods preferred;
- Experience taking the lead to independently initiate, plan and drive multiple projects preferred;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to simplify complex concepts in writing, visualizations, and verbal presentations tailored for diverse groups of stakeholders preferred;
- Demonstrated ability and desire to quickly dig in and absorb institutional knowledge currently captured in disparate sources in order to serve as subject matter expert and go-to thought partner preferred;
- Two or more years data analysis experience preferred