Job Opening: Data Analyst, FDPRI – Washington, DC
Job Title: Data Analyst, The Frederick D. Patterson Research Institute (FDPRI)
Location: Washington, DC
Reporting to the Director of Learning and Evaluation and Director of Strategic Finance, the Data Analyst serves as UNCF Institute for Capacity Building’s (ICB) analyst on a full portfolio of research initiatives that serve to support Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). In this position, the data analyst will use a multitude of methodological approaches to manage and execute a range of research activities in line with UNCF’s strategy. The successful candidate will be part of a research team that works across departments to support various UNCF programs and increase the visibility of the work through research production. The position requires a highly motivated and collaborative individual, who has a significant research background and possesses strong organizational, analytic, and writing abilities.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Research Analyst supports the Director of Learning and Evaluation and Director of Strategic Finance in capturing, mining, analyzing and reporting on both qualitative and quantitative data. This includes producing recurring reports related to UNCF-member institution outcomes, completing program evaluations using a range of data analysis methods, conducting qualitative interviews and focus groups, transcribing, synthesizing and coding qualitative data, capturing data from external data sources including the NCES database, developing appropriate methodological tools for data capture, using appropriate statistical tools (including Excel and SPSS) to create data visuals to illustrate data patterns, supporting member institution professional development related to institutional effectiveness, serving as a writer and project manager for data-specific research publications, managing UNCF data sets, and acting as a thought partner to leadership in study design and analytical support.
Communication, Writing and Research
- Develop program or grant specific evaluation reports.
- Assist in writing and producing longitudinal evaluation studies.
- Document HBCU evidence-based practices based on research analyses.
Program Coordination and Administration
- Manage, with the support of an administrative assistant, a research database, and institutional contact lists.
- Develop timelines, tracking activities, and complete grant reports as needed.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel and PowerPoint required
- Experience with modeling/statistical analysis and SPSS/SQL required
- Ability to synthesize data and information from multiple sources including large data sets, develop insights and recommendations and convey complex information through the use of supporting tables, graphs and other visual representations required
- Experience with large-scale higher education databases including IPEDS preferred
- Experience employing both qualitative and quantitative research methods preferred
- Experience taking the lead to independently initiate, plan and drive multiple projects preferred
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to simplify complex concepts in writing, visualizations, and verbal presentations tailored for diverse groups of stakeholders preferred
- Demonstrated ability and desire to quickly dig in and absorb institutional knowledge currently captured in disparate sources in order to serve as subject matter expert and go-to thought partner preferred
- 2+ years data analysis experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, MPA, MA or related degree or higher preferred