National Faith and Education Initiative
For more than 150 years, HBCUs have served as havens of hope, promise and nurturing learning environments for deserving African American youth. And for more than 70 years, UNCF has been working with these same communities to ensure these students get the education they need and deserve. You can help by joining in the UNCF National Faith Campaign.
Already we help more than 60,000 students each year attend college at more than 1,100 schools across the country. But the need is so much greater.
For every one scholarship we award, there are nine other students who do not receive funding they desperately need.
Take a look at these numbers:
- 92 percent of UNCF students need financial aid
- 60 percent of UNCF students come from families with annual incomes of under $30,000.
More than 50 percent of students at UNCF institutions are the first in their families to attend college. But students aren’t the only reason to invest. Our communities benefit as well. Research indicates that HBCU graduates are more involved in charitable, civic and social activities. They vote in elections, support good public schools and support their congregations.
“Our country must become a nation of college graduates.”Michael L. Lomax, Ph.D., President and CEO, UNCF
There are many ways you can help:
- Host a UNCF Sunday at your house of worship
- Donate to the Campaign for Emergency Student Aid
- Contact your UNCF local office to invite a representative to speak before your congregation
- Recruit pastors and other faith leaders in your community or denomination to support this crucial UNCF initiative
- Spread the word to the youth in your congregation about the hundreds of UNCF scholarships, fellowships and internships available to them
- Encourage UNCF alumni to participate in the UNCF National Alumni Council and get involved with their alma maters
- Add a UNCF link to your church’s website, and follow UNCF through our social media sites, Twitter: @UNCF and Facebook: @UNCF
For more information, contact:
229 Peachtree St., NE
Atlanta, GA 30303
T 404 302 8623