Job Opening: Senior Director, Program Management – Washington, DC
Job Title: Senior Director, Program Management
Department/Division: Scholarships and Programs
Location: Washington, DC
The Senior Director of Program Management will provide active oversight and management and leadership of the day-to-day activities related to successful execution of the UNCF’s donor-related programs and to the Program Management team’s staff development. The person will ensure alignment with UNCF’s mission and cultivate positive client service relationships with donors, students, faculty, and with UNCF leaders, peers and staff. The person will serve in the Scholarships and Programs Division Director’s Team and provide thought leadership and strategy input to the overall management of the division.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide day-to-day leadership to the Program Management team so all UNCF scholarships, programs, internships and fellowships meet donor expectations as described in the MOUs
- Maintain and iteratively update database in the STAR system of UNCF's active and dormant scholarships, programs, internships and fellowships and leverage the database; develop tracking tools in the Enterprise Scholarship Application (ESA) system, in Office 365 and in the STAR system
- Track end-to-end scholarship awarding process in ESA and the Institutional Portal (IP) to assure that student awards are effectively managed and made in a timely basis
- Monitor the progress to achievement of the overall and individual institutional goals for scholarship, CESA and institutional grant awards
- Work across UNCF to research, identify, acquire, archive and update underlying documentation for all UNCF scholarships, programs, fellowships and internships.
- Serve as the primary liaison with UNCF's Accounting division to assure all indirect expenses are captured by program.
- Serve on the Scholarships & Programs (S&P) leadership team with the Directors, fellow Sr. Directors, Directors and the SVP to establish divisional policies.
- Contribute to the development, editing and maintenance of an S&P divisional policy manual.
- Monitor the Program Management budget and assure the unit does not exceed its annual budget.
- Represent the S&P division at internal and external meetings with current and prospective donors, affiliates and staff members.
- Regularly convene the Program Management team for unit meetings.
- Assess and provide individual and collective staff guidance, development and training.
- Produce a quarterly report for the members reflecting the status of scholarship distribution to their campuses.
- Produce a monthly report on the distribution of institutional scholarship, emergency aid and grant awards.
- Produce on a regular schedule a newsletter to Development and the organization.
- Develop a template, review and edit annual program reports for consistency in donor reporting.
- Serve as co-lead to the Scholarships and Programs Committee of the UNCF Board, preparing, editing and delivering bi-annual Committee reports and following up on action items to completion.
- Work in ways that demonstrate UNCF’s core values; trust, responsibility, accountability, collaboration, integrity and impact.
- Across a team of 14, will directly supervise 10-12 employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, performance guidelines and applicable laws.
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university required; Master’s degree preferred.
At least 7 years of experience in program administration and management.
Experience working in post-secondary education with undergraduate, graduate, and post-doctoral academic programs; financial aid and/or scholarship/internship programs management; and/or other non-profit setting supporting student development and strategic partnerships is strongly preferred.
Experience or knowledge of technology and/or online programming.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with ability to be a persuasive, credible, and polished communicator; ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to develop and write reports, business correspondence, power point presentations and procedural guidelines. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to recognize inconsistencies in data patterns and resolve outliers. Skills in using software applications, especially Microsoft Excel, for data analysis and budgeting a plus.
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to solve practical problems dealing with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Position requires a leader with a high degree of positive interpersonal skill building in a fast-paced environment. Must be a team player who will collaborate and work effectively with diverse groups of people at all levels of the organization. Ability to handle a variety of stakeholders, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities while exercising an exceptional attention to details.
- Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Strong organizational skills; Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and use of social media platforms; willingness to embrace ambiguity and also work within established guidelines to resolve unique challenges. Strong planning skills and the ability to multi-task; outstanding human relations and managerial skills; demonstrative initiative; the ability to be a self-starter who works with minimal supervision, but who engages leadership in shared decision making. Strong ability to be creative in exercising problem-solving skills. Experience with analyzing and carrying out the terms of legal agreements and with contract drafting, editing and management.