Job Opening: Area Development Director - Indianapolis
The position would establish short- and long-range fundraising goals and conduct comprehensive, cost-effective annual fundraising campaigns within the served area of operation.
Job Title: Area Development Director
Establishes short- and long-range fundraising goals and conducting comprehensive, cost-effective annual fundraising campaigns within his/her area of operation to support the 37 UNCF-member institutions. Serves as an ambassador for UNCF and is responsible for engaging donors and leveraging key relationships to ensure revenue goals are met.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop new sources of unrestricted income from events, individuals and local community partners, foundations and corporations
- Plan and implement campaign strategies consistent with UNCF national action plans and policies
- Develop and submit solicitation proposals and design and implement special fundraising events
- Write fundraising correspondence, letters of acknowledgment and appeals and maintain a regular schedule of in-person visits with foundations, donors and board members
- Cultivate and steward relationships with current and potential high net-worth donors
- Identify and recruit campaign leaders and advisory board members
- Establish and maintain close, direct contact with local corporations, government, community, church and civic leaders to ensure top volunteer leadership
- Establish and maintain liaison with volunteers and secure loaned executive
- Develop and prepare campaign materials, communication and promotional programs in support of local fund-raising efforts
- Supervise and coordinate staff activities related to records management in Raiser’s Edge database, maintaining current and accurate files on all donors, and ensuring security and quality controls
- Interface with Accounting and Finance department to fulfill information requests and maintain reporting accuracy
- Generate queries, reports, exports and other collection data as needed
- Manage area office to ensure compliance with UNCF policies, procedures, rules and regulations
- Conduct performance appraisals and recommend employment, termination, promotion, and training and development of subordinates
- May supervise one or more professional and/or administrative level staff
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.); Masters’ degree preferred.
- At least seven years’ experience in fundraising, marketing or public relations.
- Ability to conduct major fundraising activities, including capital campaigns and annual giving drives raising substantial unrestricted funds
- Excellent organizational and written/verbal communication skills
- Outstanding human relations and managerial skills
- Effectively present information to groups (managers, clients, customers, general public)
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite