UNCF Facts and Figures
UNCF Fact Sheet
UNCF changes lives by helping the students of today become the teachers, scientists, business people, doctors and nurses of tomorrow. As such, we are so much more than a collection of facts and stats. But we are extremely proud of our accomplishments.
UNCF Facts and Questions
What does UNCF do? Why is it important to support UNCF-member historically black colleges and universities? Does UNCF provide internships? Why do we need more college graduates? What are the results of my investment in UNCF? These are just some of the frequently asked questions UNCF addresses.
UNCF was founded in 1944 to help more African American students attend and graduate from college. Since then, we've helped to more than double the number of minorities attending college.
K-12 Disparity Facts and Statistics
College degrees are regarded as a primary vehicle for reducing poverty and closing the wealth gaps between people of color and whites. Yet, the disparities that exist are alarming. Read statistics and the full reports from which they come.
HBCUs Make America Strong: The Positive Economic Impact of Historically Black Colleges and Universities
This landmark study—commissioned by UNCF’s Frederick D. Patterson Research Institute—shows that the economic benefits of HBCUs extend beyond the students they educate.
UNCF Public Policy Fact Sheets
UNCF is the voice of minority students, parents and HBCUs—ensuring that their needs are at the top of the federal education policy agenda.
- Parent PLUS Loans
- UNCF Recommendations for HBCU Executive Order
- Top Priorities for HBCUs
- America's College Promise Act/Pathways to Student Success for HBCUs and MSIs
- Higher Education Act Reauthorization Priorities
- HBCU Innovation Fund
- Institutional Risk-Sharing Proposals: Concerns and Alternatives
- Suspend Cohort Default Rate Sanctions
UNCF Federal Budget Fact Sheets
When our colleges and universities have the resources they need to deliver high-quality education, we all benefit. With the proper investment in HBCUs, the next generation of leaders will have the skills they need to thrive in their communities, strengthen our economy and meet global challenges.
- Support FY 2018 Education Appropriations Priorities
- Invest in Strengthening HBCUs Discretionary Program (Title III, Part B)
- Protect the Strengthening HBCUs Mandatory Program (Title III, Part F)
- Support the Historically Black Graduate Institutions Program (Title III, Part B)
- Expand the HBCU Capital Financing Program (Title III, Part D)
- Invest in and Modernize Pell Grants
- Support the HBCU Historic Preservation Program
- Support FY 2018 STEM Education Programs
- Protect the Defense HBCU/Minority Institutions Program
- Support the NSF HBCU Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP)
- Support the NSF Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Support the NSF Centers for Research Excellence in Science and Technology (CREST) Program
- Support the NSF Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) Program
- Support the NASA Minority University Research and Education Program (MUREP)
- Support the NOAA Education Partnership Program/Minority-Serving Institutions (EPP/MSI)