Johnson C. Smith University
Johnson C. Smith University is an independent new urban university located in Charlotte. The University continues to gain a national reputation for integrating the liberal arts with business, the sciences and technology in innovative, socially conscious ways to empower tomorrow’s diverse entrepreneurial citizens and leaders.
Today, JCSU offers a progressive curriculum with 24 fields of study to nearly 1,500 students who come from a variety of ethnic, socioeconomic and geographic backgrounds. The enriching environment enables students to explore and grow– intellectually, socially, culturally and spiritually – and develop a sense of social responsibility.
Johnson C. Smith University Facts
- The College of STEM—Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics—represents Johnson C. Smith University’s educational effort to create entrepreneurial leaders across the entire spectrum of the technological workforce
- Ranked 16th among historically black colleges and universities by U.S. News & World Report (2015)
- Named among the top 50 most technologically advanced small colleges by The Best Colleges Online (2015)
- Ranked 7th in alumni giving among historically black colleges and universities by U.S. News & World Report (2015)
- Member of the Clinton Global Initiative University (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012)
- Identified by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as an Institutional Partnership site. JCSU was also selected by the Gates Foundation for the New Urban University Coalition (2015)
- Biddle Memorial Hall, at the center of campus, sits on the highest point in Charlotte. Constructed in 1883, the Romanesque-style building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
- Read more JCSU Quick Facts
News and Events
JCSU has been a stepping stone and I wouldn’t trade it for anything
Shaquana Janeisha Douglas ’18 Bachelor of Science degrees in biology and chemistry
Johnson C. Smith University Staff