Jarvis Christian College
Jarvis Christian College is a historically black liberal arts, baccalaureate degree-granting institution affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
The mission of the college is to prepare students intellectually, through academic programs that promote excellence in teaching and learning; socially, through student-centered support programs that encourage positive and constructive communication among peers, faculty, and staff; spiritually, through programs that stimulate spiritual growth and worship; and personally, through interaction that fosters self-development and maturity. The mission further seeks to prepare students for professional and graduate studies, productive careers and to function effectively in a global and technological society.
In support of its mission, Jarvis Christian College has adopted these Guiding Principles:
- Scholarship and Life-Long Learning: To advocate life-long learning by challenging and supporting students and staff to pursue intellectual, personal and professional development.
- Service: To intentionally provide a quality experience for students, colleagues, surrounding communities and the nation through community service and civic engagement, as service is the core of our profession.
- Integrity: To exhibit ethical behavior in and beyond the academic setting, and be good stewards of our financial resources, acting as persons of high character guided by a commitment to transparency, fairness and honesty.
- Respect: To embrace the doctrines of faith, family and community, which ensure inclusiveness and diversity, understanding that every individual should be treated with professionalism, courtesy and kindness.
- Responsibility: To be responsible and accountable for our actions in every situation, as it relates to the college, the community and the nation.
- Christian Ethics: To emphasize that the Christian spiritual path provides an ethical code that, when followed, will make for a better person, a better college, a better community and a better world.
News and Events
UNCF-Member Institution Jarvis Christian College Confers Honorary Degree on Actor Jamie Foxx
Actor and musician Jamie Foxx returned to his native Texas on Saturday to receive an honorary degree during Jarvis Christian College’s 2018 spring commencement. Foxx received the honorary doctorate from the historically black university in Hawkins for his activism and community service. Author and journalist Jesse J. Holland gave the keynote speech at Saturday’s ceremony.>> Read More