Johnson C. Smith University
Johnson C. Smith University is an independent new urban university located in Charlotte. The University continues to gain a national reputation for integrating the liberal arts with business, the sciences and technology in innovative, socially conscious ways to empower tomorrow’s diverse entrepreneurial citizens and leaders.
Today, JCSU offers a progressive curriculum with 24 fields of study to more than 1,452 students who come from a variety of ethnic, socioeconomic and geographic backgrounds. The enriching environment enables students to explore and grow– intellectually, socially, culturally and spiritually – and develop a sense of social responsibility.
JCSU is committed to hiring expert faculty members who prepare students for rewarding careers by helping them to develop the professional and social skills needed for workforce success. The University has strong community relationships and strategic partnerships with businesses, corporations and professional groups. As an active community partner, JCSU serves as a catalyst for building and sustaining assets in the surrounding neighborhoods and throughout the city.
Johnson C. Smith University continues to evolve into a 21st century university that builds upon its long legacy of producing compassionate and forward-thinking leaders.
Johnson C. Smith University Facts
- The College of STEM—Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics—represents Johnson C. Smith University's educational effort to create entrepreneurial leaders across the entire spectrum of the technological workforce
- Ranked 16th among historically black colleges and universities by U.S. News & World Report (2015)
- Named among the top 50 most technologically advanced small colleges by The Best Colleges Online (2015)
- Ranked 7th in alumni giving among historically black colleges and universities by U.S. News & World Report (2015)
- Member of the Clinton Global Initiative University (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012)
- Identified by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as an Institutional Partnership site. JCSU was also selected by the Gates Foundation for the New Urban University Coalition (2015)
- Biddle Memorial Hall, at the center of campus, sits on the highest point in Charlotte. Constructed in 1883, the Romanesque-style building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
- Read more JCS Fast Facts
News and Events
JCSU President Receives 2017 UNCF Masked Award
This award is bestowed upon those who have served as beacons of hope, who support the UNCF mission of providing educational opportunities, and who keep the doorway of opportunity wide open for deserving African American youth. MASKED is an acronym meaning Mankind Assisting Students Kindle Educational Dreams. Dr. Carter, along with Rev. Dr. Cifford A. Jones, Sr., Pastor, Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, and Dr. Michael Marsicano, President and CEO, Foundations of the Carolinas, were recently honored with the Masked Award during the 2017 UNCF Charlotte Mayor's Masked Ball.