“A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a wonderful thing to invest in.”® Why not invest your time or money in better futures for young people in Michigan and around the country?
UNCF Detroit is here to help you send a student to college and turn his or her life around.
UNCF still needs your assistance, as we can only help 1 out of 10 students who apply for scholarships, due to insufficient available funding. Text UNCFDET to 50555 to give $25, or click here to donate today and build better futures for African American students!
Want to volunteer for a formal event or a noontime luncheon with community leaders? If you've got the time and are interested in getting behind UNCF, we'd be very happy to hear from you. Is a child you know looking for the right college? Can you contribute to keeping student aid available and academic programs strong at UNCF-member colleges or universities? UNCF Detroit will make the connection. Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how you can help.
UNCF Detroit Leadership Council
- Kenny Akinwale; CEO/Owner; Q Group LLC
- Nadine Cook; Community Relations and Events: Ascension | Crittenton Hospital and St. John Providence
- Linda Forte; Comerica Bank (retired)
- Barbara Hughes Smith; Guidance Counselor Department Head; Detroit Public Schools
- Mable Jones; AAA of Michigan (retired)
- Curtis H. B. Kilpatrick; President, Detroit Inter-Alumni Council/DIAC
- Gwen Moore; Ford Motor Company (retired)
- Cathy Nedd; Chief Operating Officer; Michigan Chronicle
- Juliette Okotie-Eboh; Senior Vice President; MGM Grand Detroit
- Vivian R. Pickard; General Motors Company (retired)
- John Reeves; Chief Executive Officer; Triad Global Solutions (posthumously)
- Shawn Torrence; Vice President, Business Development; The Mardon Group
News and Events
The Dream Continues…
On Monday, January 15, 2018, the UNCF Michigan office and the Detroit Inter-Alumni Council (DIAC) commemorated one of HBCU's most famous alumni, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (Morehouse College, 1948). The 26th Annual MLK Birthday Celebration Breakfast was held at the Shriners Silver Garden Events Center in Southfield, Michigan with approximately 300 attendees raising over $35,000 to support UNCF’s mission. Rev. Carnel Richardson, Lead Pastoral Minister – New Prospect Missionary Baptist Church (Detroit) was the keynote speaker. This year, the DIAC honored one of Detroit’s power couples, former COO of the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, Tyrone Davenport and Linda Forte, former Chief Diversity Officer for Comerica Bank; along with Faye Alexander Nelson, retired Vice President – DTE Energy and Board Chair & President – DTE Energy Foundation.
UNCF Detroit and DIAC wishes to thank our partner, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation and sponsors:
"Drum Major for Justice" Sponsor
- MGM Grand Detroit Casino
"We Shall Overcome" Sponsors
- Greektown Casino-Hotel
- Fifth Third Bank
- Lambda Pi Omega – Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- New Prospect Missionary Baptist Church
- UAW Region 1-A
Scenes from the UNCF Detroit MLK Celebration Breakfast
Detroit Walk One of the Most Successful UNCF Walks
The Detroit UNCF Walk/Run For Education celebrated its 29th year and attracted close to 450 walkers, who were treated to a day full of activities that included an HBCU College Fair, car raffle, youth group step show, vehicle displays from both General Motors and Ford Mother Company, face painting, mini massages, health screenings, team trophy presentations and more. The event raised more than $700,000. One highlight of the event was a concert with the Whispers,compliments of Chene Park and GM, which raised $11,000.