“A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a wonderful thing to invest in.”® Why not invest your time or money in better futures for young people in New Jersey and around the country?
UNCF Newark is here to help you send a student to college and turn his or her life around.
UNCF “Protecting Our FUTURE” Campaign
UNCF’s Federal Policy and Government Affairs Division has been working urgently to save a source of funding ($85 million/year) for HBCUs. The funding expires at the end of the month unless Congress acts.
We are just days away from HBCUs losing $85 million a year to educate our students. The program we are trying to protect and get funded is the Mandatory Title III/SAFRA funding—expiring Sept. 30, 2019. It’s easy to protect $85 million per year for HBCUs, let Congress know HBCUs matter—and to protect our FUTURE!
To help save this vital funding for HBCUs:
- Go to www.uncf.org/protectingourfuture
- Click “write your Member of Congress”
- Fill out the blank fields and click “next”
- Click “submit.” The pre-written letter will be sent to your U.S. Representative and both of your U.S. Senators.
Want to volunteer for a formal event or a noontime luncheon with community leaders? If you’ve got the time and are interested in getting behind UNCF, we’d be very happy to hear from you. Is a child you know looking for the right college? Can you contribute to keeping student aid available and academic programs strong at UNCF-member colleges or universities? UNCF Newark will make the connection. Contact us today to learn how you can help.
Did You Know?
- 9 out of every 10 applications are denied due to lack of financial resources.
- A $5,000 scholarship dramatically increases UNCF recipients’ rate of retention and likelihood of graduation.
- Your donation helps area students achieve their goals.
New York Rag Celebrates UNCF Newark’s Masked Ball
The United Negro College Fund (UNCF), held their annual Masked Ball on Friday, June 7th at the Cedar Hill Golf & Country Club in Livingston, New Jersey. It was an evening of dignitaries, former NFL players, and philanthropist supporters who came together to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the UNCF. >> Read More
New Jersey Masked Ball/75th Anniversary Featured in Diversity In Action Magazine
Investors Foundation Makes Donation to UNCF NJ Area Office
The organization made the first part of its Leadership Sponsorship of $25,000 in support of Masked Ball Honoree Kevin Cummings, CEO of Investors Bank. Investors Foundation presents ADD, UNCF Newark’s Assistant Development Director Ngozi Emenyeonu accepted the $15,000 check in support of the 7th Annual Masked Ball, which was held June 7.
Scenes from the annual Princeton Committee Scholarship Luncheon, held March 9.
Established 18 years ago, the Princeton Committee of UNCF is an all-volunteer committee that raises funds to provide assistance to deserving bright and talented young men and women from the Mercer, Somerset and Middlesex Counties to ensure their access to higher education that otherwise might not be available or limited due to financial constraints. Since the committee began presenting scholarships in 2005, it has granted over $400,000 in scholarships to 21 students. Proceeds from this event provide scholarships for qualifying students from Mercer, Somerset and Middlesex counties.
Get ready—the 2nd annual New Jersey Walk for Education is scheduled for Sept. 21, and you can register today! Visit UNCF.org/NewJerseyWalk and sign up to help area kids get to and through college!
UNCF Newark 2017-18 Leadership Council
- Vaughn L. McKoy, Co-chair, 2010-current; Managing Director and Vice President; PSEG Long Island
- Joyce Dudley, Co-chair, 2010-current; President and Principal; Dudley Hamilton Associates
- Eugene Anderson, 2015-current; Sr. Dir. Industry Relations and External Affairs; SUEZ
- Jeffrey Bowen, 2016; Sales Team Lead; Ocean Spray Cranberries
- Rev. Kenneth Clayton, 2013-current; Pastor; St. Luke Baptist Church
- Lissa Jean Ferrell, Esq., 2014-current; LJF Consulting, LLC
- Peter Harvey, Esq., 2010-current; Partner; Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler
- Tyretta Meadows 2015; Senior Manager; Lean Center of Excellence; TD Ameritrade
- Dr. Gemar Mills, 2016; Chief Education Officer, National; The Future Project
- Adrien Moncur, Esq. ,2013-current; State of New Jersey; Office of the Public Defender
- Greg Parris, 2015-current; Senior Vice President Finance; Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- William S. Parrish, 2013-current; President; Noble Strategy
- Edward A. Rademaker, JD,; 2015-current; Manager Global Contracts and Grants; Global Pharmaceutical Res & Dev. LLC (GPS), Janssen Research & Dev. LLC
- Dr. Niathan Allen; 2017
- Tammeisha Smith, 2012-Current; President and CEO; Dunbar Center Inc.
- L. Miyoshi West, 2015; Director, Global Payments Product Manager; Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Dwayne Redmond, 2013-Current; Global Wealth and Investment Management, Head of Field Marketing; Bank of America