“A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a wonderful thing to invest in.”® Why not invest your time or money in better futures for young people in Michigan and around the country?
UNCF Detroit is here to help you send a student to college and turn his or her life around.
News and Events
UNCF Detroit: Building Better Futures
2019 has Been an Exciting Year! The 31st Annual Detroit Walk for Education, the largest and most successful walk in the UNCF network, raised $731,630, with more coming in. The Detroit Inter-Alumni Council sponsored an HBCU College Fair, giving local students the opportunity to apply to as many as 55 HBCUs without fees or charges. And, we held our first “State of UNCF Michigan: A Community Conversation” with a UNCF expert panel. The conversation was an opportunity for the Michigan community to learn about UNCF and the impact Michigan has on its mission.
Here are the highlights!
Annual Walk A Success, Thanks to Supporters!
The 2019 Detroit UNCF 31st Annual Walk for Education took place on August 24 at Belle Isle state park and attracted more than 600 walkers. This year’s walk co-chairs brought a lot of heart, passion, dedication and hard work to the walk activities. We extend a SPECIAL THANKS to our Corporate Champions!
- Presenting Sponsor Delta Air Lines and Bobby Johnson, Director of Airport Customer Service
- Anthony Johnson, President of the African American Alliance of Henkel Corporation
- Lois McEntyre, Director, GMCX Global Program Execution, General Motors
- Marvin Rushing, Vice President – Macomb District Manager, Comerica Bank
- Dion Stevens, Vice President and Assistant Treasurer of AAA – The Auto Group
- Frederiek Toney, President, Global Customer Service Division, Ford Motor Company
Thank you for helping our community, our team and UNCF recognize the potential in all students, for appreciating the diversity in Americas image of leadership and for remembering that, “A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a wonderful thing to invest in.”®