“A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a wonderful thing to invest in.”® Why not invest your time or money in better futures for young people in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and around the country?
UNCF Boston is here to help you send a student to college and turn his or her life around. Located in the South End, UNCF Boston is charged with raising funds to support UNCF’s mission of getting highly motivated deserving students to and through college at UNCF-member institutions and more than 1,100 colleges and universities across the country.
Did You Know?
Each year, UNCF receives over 2,170 applications from New England area students needing financial assistance. More than 1,660 New England students are supported by all of UNCF scholarship programs.
Boston Red Sox Hosted UNCF 75th Anniversary Homecoming Reception
Held at Fenway Park, the event raised funds for HBCUs and local students; alumni from local HBCU networks gathered for homecoming reception
As it marks a major milestone, UNCF celebrated its work on Sept. 11 at the New England “A Mind Is…” Homecoming Reception at the Vineyard Vines Club in Fenway Park with UNCF-member HBCU Morehouse College alumnus and guest speaker, George “Chip” Greenidge.
UNCF developed a group of local HBCU alumni, who through their determination to champion a quality education for all, are making efforts to unite others in the Boston area. The event highlighted the vital work that UNCF does to help support HBCUs and the deserving scholars who attend these institutions.
The event was made possible through the support from community partners with contributions from the Boston Red Sox and many others.
During the past 75 years, UNCF has helped nearly half a million students earn college degrees. As the largest and most effective minority education organization in the United States, UNCF also actively supports 37 private historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) and advocates for minority higher education.
Boston Homecoming Reception, Sept. 11
UNCF Raises More Than $110K for HBCUs and Deserving Students at Inaugural New England “A Mind Is…” Reception
UNCF celebrated its 75th anniversary at the New England “A Mind Is…” reception on June 6 at the Four Seasons. Raising over $110,000, the inaugural event benefited deserving students and the 37 private historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) UNCF supports. As it marks such a major milestone, UNCF is proud to honor former Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Ronald L. Walker, II (Leadership Award); Frederick L. Brown, former Massachusetts Appeals Court judge (1976-2015) (The Shirley Chisholm Community Service Award); and husband and wife dynamic duo Fletcher and Benaree Wiley (Lifetime Achievement Award) for strengthening our HBCUs and helping to continue our mission. >> Read More
Scenes from New England “A Mind Is…” Reception
Mass. Governor and Boston Mayor Wish UNCF a Happy 75th
Boston Mayor Martin Walsh
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker
UNCF Boston Staff
UNCF New England Leadership Council
“I support UNCF because I am inspired by students who work hard to attend and graduate from college.”
Managing Principal, Payden and Rygel
“Today, a college degree is the entry-level requirement for almost every fast-growing job and career. With a college education more important than ever—but more expensive than ever—our young people and the country need UNCF to do what it does best: help make sure everyone has an opportunity for a college degree, regardless of economic status.”
Gary Morton, MBA, MSM, DBA CAND
Director, Give with Liberty Mutual
- Farrah Belizaire, Manager of Diversity & Inclusion, Boston University School of Medicine, Division of Graduate Medical Sciences and Founder & Managing Director of Litework Events
- Anthony Berry, Director of Admissions, Trinity College
- Erwin Cowhig, Vice President, Human Resources, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Charles F. Desmond, Ed.D., CEO, Inversant
- Lucyus Fevrier, Web Producer/Interactive Designer, Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services
- Sharra Gaston, Housing Policy Manger, Department of Housing and Community Development
- John F. Hering, Regional Director, CVS Health
- Keon T. Holmes, CFA, Managing Director, Cambridge Associates
- Stanley O. King, II, Vice President of Corporate Development, Emulate, Inc.
- Anthony (Tony) Richards, II; Deputy Chief of Staff, Access and Opportunity; Massachusetts Governor’s Office
- Demetriouse Russell, Founder and Managing Partner, Venn Diagram Partners LLC
- Kenneth L. Turner, Director of Diversity and Inclusion/Compliance, Massachusetts Port Authority
- Jacquetta Van Zandt, Senior Advisor of External Relations, City of Framingham, Mayor’s Office
- Christopher West, Motivational Speaker, CWest Speak
- Christian Williams, Senior Client Services Associate, BNY Mellon