Add to Calendar
2019 Walk/Run/Bike for Education – Houston
Walk (or run) with a purpose at the 34th annual Walk for Education.
Tom Bass Park, Section 1
After 75 years, our slogan, “A mind is a terrible thing to waste,® ” remains one of the most recognized in American advertising history. This year, UNCF will celebrate its 75th Anniversary as the nation’s largest and most effective minority education organization lighting the “Way to Better Futures.”
You can impact our local community by raising funds for education. Participants help to save our historical black colleges and universities (HBCUs) and provide financial assistance for the children from our community. We need you to help us reach our goals of 7,500 participants and raise $275,000 in honor of UNCF’s 75th year!
Facts about the walk:
- Began in 1985, with Olympic gold medal winner Carl Lewis serving as Honorary Chair for sixteen years.
- Has raised more than $5.2 million since its inception.
- Draws more than 1,600 walkers from corporations, community organizations, and individuals from the greater Houston area.
- Formerly held at both Sam Houston Park and McGregor Park.
- The UNCF walk is one of our most cost efficient events; its expense ratio never exceeds 10 percent.
Alumni Village is Back!
Are you an alumnus of an HBCU? Visit the official UNCF hospitality tent for pre/post walk refreshments, games, networking, and live entertainment!
Complimentary UNCF alumni caps will be available to registered alumni, while supplies last. You must check in at UNCF/Alumni Village to pick up your hat on walk morning. For more information about how you can get involved, please contact our office at UNCFHoustonEvents@uncf.org or 713.942.8623.
Information provided on this page will be updated often. Be certain to check back a week prior to the walk for more details.
Click here to see all of our member colleges.
Grab your shoes, tune up your bike, organize your teams and start training!