Job Opening: Data Analyst - Atlanta
The position would engage in data collection, analysis and reporting in support of research activities conducted or sanctioned by the UNCF Frederick D. Patterson Research Institute.
The data analyst for the Frederick D. Patterson Research Institute (FDPRI), engages in data collection, analysis and reporting in support of research activities conducted or sanctioned by FDPRI. The data analyst will utilize a multitude of methodological approaches to manage and execute a range of research activities in line with UNCF’s strategy. The successful candidate will be part of a research team that works across departments to support various UNCF programs and increase the visibility of the work through research production. The position requires a highly motivated and collaborative individual, who has a significant research background and possesses strong organizational, analytic, and writing abilities.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Supports the vice president, and the Senior Manager of Learning and Evaluation of the Frederick D. Patterson Research Institute in capturing, mining, analyzing and reporting on both qualitative and quantitative data
- Conducts quantitative and qualitative research on issues related to Patterson research agenda. Review and synthesize current literature when necessary.
- Leads the process for completing the biennial statistical report documenting trends at member institutions
- Produces recurring reports related to UNCF-member institution outcomes
- Completes program evaluations using a range of data analysis methods, including conducting qualitative interviews and focus groups, transcribing, synthesizing and coding qualitative data
- Captures data from external data sources including NCES databases, developing appropriate methodological tools for data capture
- Uses appropriate statistical tools (including Excel and SPSS) to create data visuals to illustrate data patterns
- Supports member institution professional development related to data-informed institutional effectiveness
- Serves as a writer and project manager for data-specific research publications
- Serves as a thought partner to leadership in study design and analytical support
- Creates and manages databases to support research activities of the Patterson Institute, e.g. literature reviews, relevant research activities at HBCUs and/or other institutions interested in educational attainment for African Americans
- Assists the vice president in the development of proposals and programmatic donor reports for the Patterson Institute
- This position may periodically supervise interns
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data analyses.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Reacts well under pressure; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, MPA, MA or related degree or higher preferred.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Experience with modeling/statistical analysis and SPSS/SQL required.
- Ability to synthesize data and information from multiple sources including large data sets, develop insights and recommendations and convey complex information through the use of supporting tables, graphs and other visual representations required.
- Experience with large-scale higher education databases including IPEDS preferred.
- Experience employing both qualitative and quantitative research methods preferred.
- Experience taking the lead to independently initiate, plan and drive multiple projects preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to simplify complex concepts in writing, visualizations, and verbal presentations tailored for diverse groups of stakeholders preferred.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to quickly dig in and absorb institutional knowledge currently captured in disparate sources in order to serve as subject matter expert and go-to thought partner preferred.
- 2+ years data analysis experience preferred.